- It forces the U.S. to reduce its stockpile of nuclear weapons, and makes our existing nuclear arsenal unreliable
- It gravely reduces the ability of the U.S. to defend itself by banning the use of missiles to shoot down incoming missiles
- It compromises our sovereignty by creating a Bilateral Consultative Commission---which could open the U.S. up to more restrictions without Senate approval
- It requires sharing missile defense secrets with Russia---who could then use that intelligence against us, or share it with rogue nations
- It abandons the "trust but verify" monitoring deal with Russia, undermining our ability to know what kind of missiles they are developing and testing
- It forces the U.S. to eliminate as many as 150 delivery vehicles, even though they may be used for transporting conventional weapons, so it harms other military actions---and it allows Russia to ADD more than 130!
- It does nothing to address the danger of nuclear terrorism, ignoring the threats we face from Iran and North Korea
Friday, December 17, 2010
It's pretty easy to see why Mr. Obama is pushing the new START treaty so hard. It does to the American nuclear arsenal what his economic policies have done to the American economy. Pretty much guts it. Here is exactly WHY it's such a bad treaty:
All of these have the cumulative effect of reducing the deterrent capability of our Nuclear arsenal. While no sane person really has a desire to use these weapons, they do have the ability to deter anyone from using them against us. By radically reducing our nuclear arsenal, and down-grading that which remains, we, as a nation become less able to defend ourselves from much smaller nations, such as Iran which is rapidly building it's own nuclear arsenal. While they don't have the ability to reach the US directly, Iran can reach most of Europe. Additionally, they have begun basing missiles in Venezuela that CAN reach the US...no imagine such missiles equipped with nuclear weapons...ones that can reach an arc as far north as Virginia and as far west as Arizona...literally millions of American lives would be at stake...and with the banning of a missile defense system...those people would be under the power of a country that has set itself at war with the United States since 1979.
Urge your Senators to vote against the new START treaty today. This treaty should be voted on in a hurried manner...not for any reason. Look what happened when we had to have Congress hurry and vote on ObamaCare...only too late have we seen just what a mess THAT is. Playing with our national defense shouldn't be hurried. Vote quickly on this treaty is wrong.