Schumer-Rubio promise/Why bogus
- “Multiple triggers”/Legalization is immediate. DHS just has to border “plan.” The most any “triggers” can possibly do is delay green cards and citizenship.
- “90 % effectiveness”/ If not reached, triggers only toothless commission
- “Pay back taxes”/ Only if already “assessed” by IRS (unlikely). Newly legalized may instead get refunds.
- “Learn English”/ Only need to English class.
- Clean record”/ Allows two free misdemeanors. Additional misdemeanors (including assaults) can be waived by DHS.
- No “public charge.” Must earn 125% of poverty line / They’re going to deport people who earn only 124% or less? Ha.
- “Pay a fine”/ Can be waived by DHS
- “Back of the line”/ Get to wait out the line while living in the U.S (unlike suckers trying to come here legally).
- Border fence/ Leaves it up to DHS, which decided not to complete fence in first place
- “Comprehensive Southern Border Security Strategy”/ Only has to be “substantially” operational–whatever that means, as defined by DHS–before green cards are issued. (Legalization has already happened, remember!)
- “E-verify” employment checks/ Replaces E-Verify with new system. Requires only that this system be “implemented” ( 30%? 70%? Who knows?). Subject to lawsuit. If still in court after 10 years, never mind!
- Entry-exit system for visas/Has been required since 1996. DHS must only be “using” a system before green cards can be issued. (Using in 10% of airports? 50%? Again, who knows?)
In 1986, Congress passed an amnesty bill. We were then promised it was a one-time deal...now, less than 30 years later, many of the same Senators are pushing another amnesty bill. That is utter bullshit. I work as a cabinetmaker in the light manufacturing/construction industry. Illegal aliens have destroyed the US construction business. It used to be you only heard English at building sites. Now, most companies hire only illegals because they can pay them $10 per hour, work them 60 hours per week and not pay overtime, taxes, social security, etc. It's a win for business owners...and a huge loss for American carpenters, masons, electricians and plumbers. After all, what incentive is there for a company to hire me if they have to pay me a living wage ($20 per hour or more!)...there isn't. So they don't.
If Congress REALLY wanted to pass reall immigration reform it would look like this
- Require all municipal, county and state entities to enforce current laws on the books. Failure to do so would "trigger" loss of all federal funds to the entity that chooses not to do so.
- Punish employers for hiring illegal aliens. 1st offense, $5,000.00 fine per person hired. 2nd offense, $10,000.00 fine per person, loss of business license for 1 year. 3rd offense, $25,000.00 fine, 5 year loss of business license, 1 year jail time PER illegal alien employed. Enact reward system for reporting illegal aliens employed by American companies. Say, $1,000.00 per verified illegal alien. The money would come from the fines paid by guilty employers.
- Secure the southern border now. Immediately deport any and all people caught illegally crossing the border on 1st offense. 2nd offense, 1 year on a "chain-gang" cleaning/repairing roadways in the border states. 3rd offense, 2 years on the "chain-gang.