Nemo me impune lacessit

No one provokes me with impunity

____________________________________

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Article 1, Section 9, Constitution of the United States

If this is the law of the land...why in a republic (little r) and as republicans, do we allow mere POLITICIANS to the right to use a "title of office" for the rest of their lives as if it were de facto a patent of nobility. Because, as republicans, this should NOT be the case...just saying...

The Vail Spot's Amazon Store

Monday, March 22, 2010

I Was Told: Moe Lane

Here is a great list of things that we have been told that the GOP cannot possibly do.  Moe Lane put it together and it's a compendium of what convensional wisdom has said is impossible to do since...2008.
  • I was told that there was no way that we could win a runoff Senate election in Georgia, in the immediate wake of the President’s historic victory nationwide.
  • I was told that there was no way that any Republican could win in William Jefferson’s* district. Ever. In a million years.
  • I was told that expecting the GOP House caucus to Hold The Line on the President’s ’stimulus’ package was a fool’s errand.
  • I was told that it would be a generation before liberal dominance of politics would be effectively challenged.
  • I was told that it was even money that the GOP would lose more seats in 2010.
  • I was told that conservatives don’t go to protests.
  • I was told that the protests over the ’stimulus’ bill would splutter away.
  • I was told that the Tea Party movement would never become more than an annoyance to the ruling party. Which would be running the show for a generation, remember.
  • I was told that it was absurd to think that the GOP would gain seats in the Senate in 2010.
  • I was told that it was absurd to think that the GOP would gain more than a dozen seats in the House in 2010.
  • I was told that the House GOP would only Hold The Line once, then cave.
  • I was told that cap and trade was inevitable.
  • I was told that card check was inevitable, and looming.
  • I was told that the GOP couldn’t hope to win the Virginia Governorship
  • I was told that nobody was going to really care about the health care monstrosity, besides a few cranks in the Tea Party movement.
  • I was told that it was absurd to think that the GOP would gain more than thirty seats in the House in 2010.
  • I was told that the GOP couldn’t hope to win the New Jersey Governorship.
  • I was told that the inevitable result of the massive protests over the health care monstrosity would be to create a popular backlash against the GOP, against conservatism, and ensure the speedy passage of the Democrats’ health care bill. As in, within a month.
  • I was told that the GOP couldn’t hope to win both the NJ and VA governorships.
  • I was told that the President would never drop in popularity – even to a level commensurate with a man, rather than a God.
  • I was told that it was impossible for the GOP to retake the Senate.
  • I was told that the GOP couldn’t hope to run the tables in the Virginia election.
  • I was told that the new Republican governor of New Jersey wouldn’t govern as a conservative.
  • I was told that it was absurd to think that the GOP could retake the House in 2010.
  • I was told that it was absurd to think that the GOP could get more than four seats in the Senate in 2010.
  • I was told that the President’s numbers would never go underwater.
  • I was told – over, and over, and over, and over, and over again – that God Himself could not win a Massachusetts Senatorial election if He ran on the Republican ticket.
As Glenn Reynolds says...read the whole thing.  The comments are great.

No comments: