Nemo me impune lacessit

No one provokes me with impunity

____________________________________

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Article 1, Section 9, Constitution of the United States

If this is the law of the land...why in a republic (little r) and as republicans, do we allow mere POLITICIANS to the right to use a "title of office" for the rest of their lives as if it were de facto a patent of nobility. Because, as republicans, this should NOT be the case...just saying...

The Vail Spot's Amazon Store

Friday, February 12, 2010

Card Check to be Included in 2nd Stimulus Package

I recently wrote to my Congressman, John Sarbanes, MD-2 (D) concerning my opposition to Card Check.  Here's my letter
Dear Mr. Sarbanes,


I have heard that in the new stimulus package requested by Mr. Obama, that there is going to be a provision that incorporates "Card Check". As a member of the United Brotherhood of Carpenter's and Joiners, Local 495, Baltimore, MD, Mid Atlantic Region, I am firmly opposed to this legislation.

Card Check removes the provision of secret ballot from unionization elections. Therefore, Card Check is inimical to the entire process of democracy. If you remove the secret ballot from union elections, how long will it be before you do so in other elections? It's not all that long a stretch from removing secret ballot from political elections, to only have a single slate for such elections. What then is the use of having elections if they are not secret?

Passage of Card Check will lead to the harassment and intimidation of those who are opposed to unionization. That is their right to do so, but by removing the secret ballot, you will lead to the eventual demise of our democracy.

Therefore, I strenuously urge you to vote NO! on any provision in which card check is included.

Sincerely,

Richard A Vail:
In a message dated 2/12/2010 10:46:27 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, md03ima@mail.house.gov writes
February 12, 2010

Dear Dr. Vail:

Thank you for contacting me about the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA). I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

I would be less than frank if I did not tell you I support EFCA. The right to organize has long helped workers to share in the prosperity of economic growth and I believe we need to restore this bargain. EFCA would give employees the option to form a union by using a secret ballot election or expressing their decision to do so by a majority signing forms designating the union as its representative in bargaining with management.

Though our views may differ on this particular issue, I value your input and hope you will not hesitate to contact me about other issues of concern to you in the future.

Sincerely,

John Sarbanes

Member of Congress


My Response to him was:

Mr. Sarbanes,
I have to tell you that the only reason you support card check is because you have been told to do so by your party leadership. I am a member of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners, Local 495. I would like to know when you will introduce a bill eliminating the secret ballot for political elections? When will you instruct me on whom I must vote for. Your position is anti-democratic.

Sincerely,

Richard A. Vail
I firmly believe that the passage of "Card Check" legislation will be great damage an already weakened economy.

No comments: