Nemo me impune lacessit

No one provokes me with impunity

____________________________________

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Article 1, Section 9, Constitution of the United States

If this is the law of the land...why in a republic (little r) and as republicans, do we allow mere POLITICIANS to the right to use a "title of office" for the rest of their lives as if it were de facto a patent of nobility. Because, as republicans, this should NOT be the case...just saying...

The Vail Spot's Amazon Store

Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Lunch Time Report From Scott Brown's Campaign

A good friend of mine is in Boston this weekend, here' is a partion of an email I was sent today:

I went to Durgin Park for lunch today (1:30 p.m.) – great place and I have eaten here often - it is located in the Quincy Market across the street from the birthplace of democracy in the United States - Faneuil Hall Marketplace) in downtown Boston.

I must have a sign on my face that I am a Democrat. I took [a friend--all names have been removed to protect the identities of this source, ed.] to lunch to Durgin Park and while walking around this famous quadrangle part of Boston; we were approached and given political handbills by volunteers of Martha Coakley.

When we got to Durgin Park, I counted 63 items that I had been given in support of the endangered Senate Democratic candidate Coakley.

[My lunch partner] counted his handouts and he got 38 pieces. He went to the men’s room to get rid of the all of the crap and told me that the waste paper baskets were full of the handouts. I don’t know what this is costing her but it is a complete waste of money – as Boston is solid with Irish Democrats and there were four huge waste paper baskets full of the campaign literature.

We ate downstairs and I listened and asked questions of the diners at Durgin Park. Six out of ten – Democrats all, feel that Coakley is an idiot and should not be elected. Three told me they were going to vote for Scott Brown because President Obama is a sham and will destroy the country by spending like a drunken sailor. We will have to wait and see. One said she is not the choice of the average Democrats and like the Republican in New York; she needs to be defeated to teach the party to be more responsive to the grass roots.

The temp today is about 50 degrees and people are milling about trying to enjoy the brief tolerable weather. There are about seven cars with loudspeakers on top trying to rally the Democrats to vote for Coakley and encouraging people to attend the rally on Sunday to hear Obama. It reminds me of what I would expect in South Korea or India. The sound trucks are really offensive and intrusive.

This Coakley might win, but I can tell you that I have never seen this kind of desperation, on any level this late in the game, by any candidate. Her core cadre supporters are in a funk and don’t know what to do.

...

No rest until Tuesday night. I understand that tomorrow will be a very wet day and the crowds are not expected to be large – even the major one with Obama. His timing is poor. He should have been here today.

Now, you ask a good question on whether I get out or party faithful surrounds me. I never look for favorable stuff, because that is for rookies. I listen to commentaries, read newspapers, and look at internal opinion polls and talk with strangers. I listen to what people have to say.

The one thing that impresses me is the lack of infighting in the campaign. Most know they are on a mission and they keep focused on the talking points. No sniping no snide remarks, no feeble attempt to put down others to look good.
I feel better and better about Mr. Brown's chances on Tuesday. Especially with the news that Intrade now has Mr. Brown up on it's board today. My biggest concern at this point is that the Democratic Congressional leadership will attempt to ram through the government plan to seize control of health care on a reconciliation vote, instead of the normal 60 vote minimum.

3 comments:

commoncents said...

Thank you for posting this! We have 5 Scott Brown Videos posted on Common Cents...

http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

Rich Vail said...

if you mention me, please post a link...if you add me to your blogroll, I'll return the favor.

rich

MissTammy said...

Thanks for the updates. We're watching this closely out in California!