Nemo me impune lacessit

No one provokes me with impunity

____________________________________

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Article 1, Section 9, Constitution of the United States

If this is the law of the land...why in a republic (little r) and as republicans, do we allow mere POLITICIANS to the right to use a "title of office" for the rest of their lives as if it were de facto a patent of nobility. Because, as republicans, this should NOT be the case...just saying...

The Vail Spot's Amazon Store

Friday, September 18, 2009

Are There Advantages to Going Back to School

\
This is for my husband who has been asking me why I have not posted anything on our site yet.
Well, I have finially found something that I really wanted to give my opinion on.

I have been working in the retail business for more than twenty years and like with every "career" it has had it's ups and downs.

During the course of my "career" I decided to go back to college for a second time and pursue a "career" in a field that would be a "secure" field and not like some of those so called make thousands of dollars overnight via infomercials.

So, I went back to college at the age of 35. Now my personal situation was not the best; I was in the process of a divorce and becoming a single mother of two young ones once again and working full time as a store manager in the retail field.

I continued my pursuit in a field that I completely enjoyed my classes. The field I chose was Electronic Technology with a second major in Telecommunications. If it weren't for my professor, George Lakkas, I would have never stayed in the program. He was for me a great mentor and confidant during my personal issues at the time and encouraged me to stay in school.

I enjoyed my program so much that I maintain a 4.0 through most of my program and currently hold a 3.78 and hope to finish my last two classes to complete my degree. I became a member of Phi Theta Kappa and made the Dean's list each semester.

Now, here is my beef: I am now 44 soon to be 45 years of age. I have chosen a field dominated by men and I am finding out that it is much harder to obtain employment in my field because I have no experience and what would be a factor: being female.

I have applied to positions that even offer training to those who have any understanding of what the position requires. Some of these positions don't even ask for anything more than a high school diploma.

So, I have found that it is almost futile to even try to obtain a degree later in life because if you don't have a full degree or willing to continue your degree while working for a company who is willing to invest in a potentially good to outstanding employee and or have at least five years of experience of working in that field, it almost makes one want to give up all together.

No comments: